Kalahari Photographic Safari
If photography is your passion, and you just want to have a real-life Wildlife Photography experience, then this is for YOU! Let Gerhard, with his vast experience and calm personality take you to the most remote places in the Kalahari for the Photography Journey of a lifetime!
Visit us regularly to see when we have another trip available
Since 2012 Gerhard has spend more than 500 days in the Nossob and Auob riverbeds. During his time in the Kalahari region he come to know the animals, their behaviour, learn to setup his camera and choose the best possible position to get the best images on the day.
Come join Gerhard on this 5 day, 4 night, eight game drive photographic safari and experience the Kalahari on a totally different level.
What to Expect!
A relaxed atmosphere where you will learn more about wildlife photography than you will ever expect. Come and join me and I will show you how to lift your wildlife photography to another level.
Daily Activities Include:
- 05:00 – Get Up!
- 05:20 – Coffee/tea and rusks
- 05:40 – Proceed to Safari Vehicle, supplied by Tashebube Lodge with qualified field guide as driver (Open safari vehicle)
- 05:45 till 10:30 – Morning drive, scan the Nossob and Auob riverbed for animals to photograph while Gerhard will assist you with camera settings, techniques and angles to get the best possible images from the sighting opportunities available
- 10:30 – Return to the Tashebube Lodge
- 11:00 – Brunch
- 12:00 till 14:00 – Tutorials with Gerhard, who will assist you with photographic tips and secrets as well as post-processing techniques in Photoshop
- 14:00 till 14:30 – Relaxing time at your own leisure
- 15:00 till 18:00 – Afternoon drive with stop in between at Melkvlei or Auchterlonie for sundowners
- 19:30 – Return to Tashebube Lodge
- 20:00 – Supper
- 21:00 – Relax and reflect on a day full adventure with a few cold ones at the bar, chatting to the rest of the safari members about memories made, both personal and on film!
Other Important Info
Arrival and departing times:
- Arrival time on first day at 12:00 – 14:00. The first drive will start at 15:00.
- Departing time on the fifth day (after 4 nights) at 11:30 after the morning drive and brunch.
Depending on your level of experience Gerhard will assist you with:
- ISO, Aperture and Shutter combinations.
- Implementing colour, shapes, lines, patterns, texture and tone into your photos.
- Use the power points effectively.
- Composites(Taking more than one overlapping photos and merge them together).
- Panning (Deliberate Blur) What shutter speed to use to get the effect you want.
- Setup your camera to the optimum to get the best possible images from it.
- Star photography (If the weather allows it)
- Your personalized workflow in photoshop.
- How actions can speed up your workflow. (Learn how to write your own actions)
- The power of layer masks.
- Sharpening your images in a correct manner.
- How to resize, downsize and upsize your images effectively.
What to bring along:
- DSLR cameras (One or two bodies)
- Telephoto lens between 300 and 600mm (Zoom also okay)
- Medium telephoto lens between 70-200 mm
- Wide angle lens(es) between 16 and 35 mm
- Tripod for star/night photography
- Cable release
- Bean bag
- Laptop with Photoshop installed. (Demo version also okay)
- Enough memory cards
- Hard drive with at least 100 gb free space available.
- Memory Card downloader.
- Sandals and walking shoes
- Swim suit
- Warm clothes
- Short pants
- Long pants
- Money for drinks etc.
The Small Print
What is included in the Safari:
- 4 Night stay at the Tashebube Lodge (Rooiputs)
- Morning coffee and rusks
- Safari vehicle exclusively used by the safari group.
- Qualified field guide and driver
- Services of Gerhard Steenkamp as your photographic guide.
- Photographic and Post Processing tutorials by Gerhard Steenkamp
What is not included in the Safari:
- Personal phone calls (Wi Fi Internet connection available at Tashebube Lodge)
- Drinks during drives (can pre order at the bar before going out).
- Gratitude fee for the field guide/driver at the end of the trip.
- Purchases and expenditure of personal nature.
- Transport to and from Tashebube Lodge.(Transport from Twee Rivieren to Tashebube Lodge can be organized on the day of arrival and departure without any extra cost)